NaNoWriMo? yeah, I know it’s kinda hard to pronounce this word. That’s just the abbreviation of ‘National Novel Writing Month’, now there it makes some sense. When my brother told me to write on this NaNoWriMo topic, I didn’t know what exactly is the meaning of NaNoWriMo. So I grabbed my laptop and start research, so today I am here to share the experience of NaNoWriMo with you guys.
Read More: Fiction VS Non-Fiction Books? Which to Read?
Hi ReadaZonians, glad to have you back and today we will be discussing ‘what is NaNoWriMo? and how to benefit out of it?’ If you’ve been around writing community, you’ve probably heard about NaNoWriMo. If you haven’t heard of it, then don’t worry just read the rest of the article and find out. This article might bring out the author in you.
What is NaNoWriMo?
National Novel Writing Month or NaNoWriMo is an annual writing-event that takes place during the month of November. It is an event where participants need to achieve the goal of writing 50,000 words in just 30-days. Well-known authors organize “pep-talks” to keep participants motivated throughout the process.
Every year, hundreds of thousands of writers take part in this epic event, whether online or in-person. In this event, participants are challenged to write 50,000 words in a month with an average of writing 1,667 words per day. It’s up to you, whether you want to write fiction or non-fiction, poetry, short stories – whatever you’d like.
Writers who accomplished their mission of writing 50k words are awarded some pretty awesome prizes from NaNoWriMo’s partners. They can participate comfortably from their homes, workplaces, or in their free time. The official website of NaNoWriMo features forums, pep-talks from published authors, meet-ups and other opportunities.
For sure if you want to start your career as an author, NaNoWriMo is the greatest opportunity to start with. Follow the steps given below and get started with NaNoWriMo today!
1- Create your NaNoWriMo Account
The best opportunity awaits, all you have to do is sign up for this first. In order to get started with NaNoWriMo, you need to create a new account on the NaNoWriMo official website.
2- Announce your Novel Project
Next step, announce your novel project on your NaNoWriMo profile, including its genre, title, and summary if you want to. Don’t worry only your writing buddies will be able to see this confidential information.
3- 1st November, Start Writing
For further information on how to get started with NaNoWriMo, check out “How it works” page on their website. You have successfully created your NaNoWriMo account it’s time for you to write up.
When November hits and as the month passes by you can update your word count, gain participation badges, and track your progress as you get closer to your goal of writing 50K words in a month.
4- Mission Accomplished
Alright, guys, it’s the day and you’ve achieved your goal of writing 50,000 words in a month make sure to verify them on the NaNoWriMo website to be an official winner and claim your prizes.
How to Benefit Out of it?
There are numerous reasons to get started with NaNoWriMo if you really want to establish yourself as a writer. Or if you just want to improve your writing then believe me give this event a try. Below are some important reasons on how to benefit out of it.
- For me, it takes a lot of efforts to sit down and write. Finding consistency in your writing life is the key to improvement. It’s really hard for me to motivate myself on to something that needed to be done. With NaNoWriMo, you have no choice but to overcome your fear of the blank page and you will make a daily-writing habit if you want to reach your 50,000-word goal.
- Writing with NaNoWriMo you’ll know you’re not alone. I understand the time and efforts that a writer put into his work, day & night thinking of perfect word match. It can be sometimes frustrating but working with NaNoWriMo is different. You will know you’re not alone and there’s a time limit that will motivate you to sit down and get to work.
- Keep the distractions away, NaNoWriMo challenge will help you ditch one of your bad habit such as using a cellphone while writing. I understand because each time I get distracted by my phone while working. The things are different with NaNoWriMo, as you’re committed to complete your 30 days challenge and 1,667 words every day using only your writing time.
- Face your fear. We all know that nobody is fearless in this world. We all have different kinds of fears, some of us might fear to lose their jobs, some fear to lose their love of life, some fear they could never end a novel or write something valuable. But remember, that fear can overcome only when it is faced. You can overcome your weaknesses by looking into the eyes of fear and say “I can do it”.
- NaNoWriMo will help you overcome your fears and frustrations. Never underestimate the power of the writing community. I suggest you dive deep into the NaNoWriMo writing community and forums. There’s nothing good than bringing two strange writers together on the internet and both have a similar goal to achieve, the 50k.
- Break your limits, write with your heart & mind. Don’t go bother yourself re-editing things. I consider re-write or editing is a waste of time, cause what you write at once could be short but it will lose its real meaning. With NaNoWriMo, you can break the habit and finish your task on a given time, there’s simply no room for editing when you have 50,000 words to finish.
- Change is good, bring some variety in your content of writings. Most writers pick a genre and stick to it, but they don’t know the power of creativity. Try to write outside your self-imposed box.
- NaNoWriMo is only one-month commitment, means you can challenge yourself to step outside your comfort-zone and then after 30 days you can jump back inside your box. But the thing you’re going to learn is that how valuable it could be to write a novel in just a month. Think of it for a while, when you’ll achieve your goal and that happiness.